Fashion mogul Tom Ford talks about influencing people’s fashion senses, being a very shy person and more…
Do you feel you’ve reached a point in your career where don’t have to compete?
– I feel I don’t have to compete in certain ways. I am also at a stage in my life where I want to only do things that I love. I only want to do things that make me happy. Making money is important, but it’s not my ultimate driver.
Are you dictating people’s fashion senses?
– Well, I hope I am, because again, that’s the job of a fashion designer. It’s to intuit what people want six or eight months, a year before they want it. So that it’s there, waiting for them. But again, if I weren’t doing this, in a year or so, someone else might, because I believe it’s the right thing at the right time.
What’s the difference between Tom Ford, the man and Tom Ford, the product?
– Tom Ford, the product is very confident, very strong. Tom Ford, the man is also those things, but Tom Ford -the man – is also very shy. You constantly have rejection. But I am much more shy and private as a person than probably ever comes off.
How do you shut off?
– My work is my hobby. I love what I do. So that is already very rewarding too.
Are you a control freak?
– I hate the word control freak. But yes, I probably fit that description. I’ve always found it amusing that sometimes I have been criticised for that when the very nature of being a designer, it’s not a democracy, it’s a dictatorship.
So, what makes a man stylish?
– The way he treats other people.
What makes woman beautiful?
– If we are talking pure physical beauty, I think, a certain amount of confidence makes anyone beautiful.
Do you feel you are successful?
– Yes, because I am fulfilling my destiny and have fulfilled my destiny, I am very content, at times very happy.